Kids I was reading the Woolworths Taste Newsletter yesterday and they were asking readers to send their cooking “egg on your face” moments which got me thinking about mine.
I want to share my first “out of the house” cooking experience with you. I had just turned 21 and daddy and I decided to be all grown up and move into our own little place. Our first home together was a quaint little cottage in Melville. I didn’t have a lot of culinary experience but I was determined to try and make a home cooked meal for my man, your daddy. Growing up, the word microwave was unheard of in our house but our teensy little kitchen in the cottage was equipped with a camper stove and a microwave which I decided to take advantage of. Bear in mind I had never used a microwave before *insert danger music*.
My first home-cooked meal was to be “I & J Fish in sauce” you find in the freezer aisles of any good supermarket and potatoes. I decided to start off with the potatoes. I wrapped them up in margarine, salt and tinfoil. Then I promptly threw them in the microwave and set it to
cook frizzle on high for 10 minutes.
There was a lot of noise emitting from the microwave! Zzzzzzzz, Bzzzzzzzz, Zzzzzzz, Bzzzzzz. It was getting louder and more intense. Once I started seeing sparks I thought it safer I go sit outside on the stoep with my glass of wine. I thought to myself that these machines called microwaves were darn noisy! Just before this happened
daddy arrived home and saved the day. And the microwave too. Apparently microwaves don’t like tinfoil. I must have missed that memo. Thankfully the microwave didn’t blow up because forking out money for a new one on our measly salaries back then would have broken the bank.
Daddy still teases me about that day but I need to state for the record that I’ve never had any other mishaps where the microwave is concerned. Unless that day in the office where I tried to cook a hard boiled egg in the microwave and it exploded counts? No. I didn’t think so.